1/01/2011

Ringing in 2011: artisan resolutions and predictions - Part TWO

As the clocks winds down on 2010, it's time to look ahead to the New Year. We asked artisans around the world for their predictions and resolutions.  New techniques? Personal goals? Emerging trends?

As the handmade movement enters a fresh year, these team members share with us what they hope to achieve, and what their art might look like this year.  Here is Part Two of our two-part series. You can check out Part One here.



LaLaShoes' Daria, an industrial designer and artisan from Croatia, plans to make her first outdoor shoes in 2011. "I still have a lot to learn, especially because my goal is to make a durable and eco-friendly, green and sustainable solution, without using glues and plastic materials of any kind. I also want to reschedule my life so to have more time to design, learn new things, be with my family, see friends and go outdoors. I'm especially looking forward to yoga classes and starting to work with papier mache again." And she also wants to finally explore Knot Theory, a mathematical theory.


Michelle, the Swiss jeweler behind Steinschmuckdesign is currently "learning a new jewelry technique and I'm very much looking to creating pieces using it this year."


In 2011, Pennsylvania artist SignsByDiane hopes for "TIME & ENERGY!! I want to find time and summon the energy to do all of the things I would like to do. (or at least some of them) If I can accomplish this then I will be able to explore and actually DO some if the ideas that I've been thinking about rather than just daydreaming about them. I'd like to try layering some designs and color combinations for some new and fresh looks."


Imaginationkids' Erin is "super excited about all the new ventures that 2011 holds for me. In the fall my first woodworking book is due to be released. It's been a long road and I cannot wait to hold the finish product in my hands! I'm also looking forward bringing some of the ideas and designs I've been toying with in my mind to life.  I am also hoping to find time to work on the numerous half finished crafting projects that seem to populate my home. " You can check out these new toys & info about the book in this Indiana woodworker's shop in 2011.


For North Carolinian jeweler Jen of Polestar, "I think my biggest resolution is to step outside my comfort zone in one form of creating in my shop. What that means, I don't know yet. I want to try something new this year, something challenging as far as design elements go."



I hope to see the continued growth in the importance buyers are placing on organic, earth-friendly processes and materials.  This year, I want SewnNatural to source even more local, organic supplies. I want to tackle some difficult projects and make lots and lots and lots of dolls.

5 comments:

Viktoria said...

I look forward to seeing all the new listings!

Monica said...

I love clean slates and fresh starts! Looking forward to seeing new listings by all of these artists!

Jennifer Cowgill said...

Love all these resolutions! thank you for including me in the interview.

Lee Wolfe Pottery OneClayBead said...

I am looking forward to seeing how our whole team progresses in 2011. We have so many creative and innovative souls and it is exciting to share the journey.
Lee/ OneClayBead

Waterrose said...

Sounds like we are all going to be busy making more beautiful creations for everyone.