10/08/2010

Friday what are you working on

Today we start off with StaroftheEast showing us their works in progress.  Staroftheeast, Ester and Estella currently live in Turkey. (their shop profile is quite interesting you should go check that out) Their work is varied and never ever dull...any time I visit their shop I feel like I've gone to an exotic land.  So, today's piece is called The Time Traveler's Wife, this necklace itself is mainly made with vintage watch movements, parts and faces. Below are their photos/descriptions and final results.

 The Time Traveler's Wife (work in progress)

First thing is finding the right material to be able to make what I have in mind. Searching through our nice collection of vintage watch faces and movements. Then finding the correct filigree pieces for the back sides and adorn them with vintage brass flower. The watch movement is on a vintage piece and gets a little face.


Then, I puzzle around to see how I'm going to put the pieces together and I search for the right chains to connect the pieces. As watch and clock pieces are not ment for jewelry I have to clean up the sharp pieces with my good old Dremel.The large piece has no holes so needs to be marked and drilled to be able to attach things on it. And slowly all pieces get connected.
 Besides the necklace I also always create a huge amount of mess

We where inspired by the magical book of Audrey Niffenegger 'The Time Traveler's Wife'. The Time Traveler's Wife is the extraordinary love story of Clare and Henry who met when Clare was six and Henry thirty-six, and were married when Clare was twenty-two and Henry thirty. Impossible but true, because Henry suffers from a rare condition where his genetic clock periodically resets and he finds himself pulled suddenly into his past or future. In the face of this force they can neither prevent nor control, Henry and Clare's struggle to lead normal lives is both intensely moving and entirely unforgettable.

The gorgeous necklace itself is mainly made with vintage watch movements, parts and faces. Clare is deeply mixed up with the time, the little face is handmade of polymer clay. The necklace is 15'' (38cm) and adjustable till 20'' (51cm). A truly one of a kind piece, perfect for an extraordinary jewelry collection!

▀ ▀ ▀


Lee from OneClayBead blogged about her Owl House ornament.  She says, 'When I stare at the chalky grayness of clay,  I use my mind’s eye to give it color. Unlike paint, glaze contains little resemblance to the final fired color, so I have trained myself through the years, to mentally try on my various glazes until I visualize the ones I want. I also choose, first in my imagination, the little embellishments like the wire twig on my Owl House ornament.'.  This item has already sold (congrats!) but she still has other ornaments listed here, go get one before they are all gone!

Shop item description: An owl in its tree hollow, with leaves for it's roof... this is a MUST HAVE for any owl lover! This piece is entirely hand formed out of stoneware clay, with real leaves pressed into the clay, and an individually formed owl inside. I've used permanent oxides and glazes, and a paper and wire hanger with berries. Owl House is 3 3/4" H without the hanger, and a total of 5" with the hanger.

My holiday ornament theme is Woodland Magic, and these are pieces that will go beautifully on a Christmas tree, and may be used as year round decor, too. Owl House can stand alone on a desk if you like.

The owl is a symbol of intuition, and the ability to see through deception. Those who are drawn to the owl are said to have these traits themselves. The Wise Child is my ode to moms who teach the value of intuitive wisdom.
▀ ▀ ▀


Jessica from GreenGardenStamps is 'back to work'.  She recently blogged about the behind the scenes of how she makes her digital stamps.  Below:  I first start with a hand drawn pen and ink sketch on white paper, as seen above. I then scan the image and open it in Adobe Illustrator.  (see blog for more photos)

And above, finished product.  This digital stamp was hand drawn and perfected in Illustrator ready to be printed out and used in any number of craft projects! You can re-size it, flip the image, color it in a photo editing program or hand color a print out. Just be sure to test water mediums as printer ink is different than your typical rubber stamping ink. I also like to print it out full sized for the kids and I to color like a coloring book page.

When you purchase this digital stamp, I will email it as a png file measuring approximately 6" x 6" at 300 dpi to you in 24 hours or less to your Etsy email address. If you'd like me to email it to another email address, just leave a message to the seller during checkout. You can also request a jpg file if you'd prefer.

Use this digital stamp for personal use or handmade items to sell on a small scale (like greeting cards or pre-made scrapbook pages). You may not re-sell the image or print outs of the image or use on print on demand sites like Zazzle or CafePress. Feel free to contact me with any questions.
▀ ▀ ▀
 
Thank you for sharing what you are working on!

5 comments:

StaroftheEast said...

Thanks so much for this lovely post :)

Unknown said...

Thank you for including my digital stamp process. It's such a joy to see the behind the scenes shots from the others. I love seeing all of the bits and pieces Ester and Estella have collected and Lee's owl is so adorable!

Decorate the Diva said...

Everyone is so creative here!

Renegade Perceptions said...

Thank you for this post. My fiance loves making clocks and I am going to show this to him :)

Renegade Perceptions said...

Oh and Hello Decorate the Diva! I put you in a treasury recently :)