5/28/2010

What are you working on now?

This Friday we have a treat for you as part of our continuing 'what are you working on now' series. Moon Over Maize, aka Monica, is sharing with us from start to finish how she makes her sterling silver pendants. This particular pendant will be given away on June 14th here.  Enjoy!

First step is to cut out the oval for the base. 

 The start of a project

Soldering the bezel onto the base.

Soldering the petals around the bezel.

All the soldering is done which means its time for the tumbler.  The metal stays in here for several hours to allow the metal to harden.

Oxidizing the pendant to create a darker look.  I usually prefer using the hard boiled egg method as it doesn't require the use of chemicals.

Time to set the grey moonstone into the bezel.  I use my burnisher to set it in there snuggly.

I've attached the oxidized sterling silver chain and it's ready to be worn.

To see more of Monica's creations visit her etsy shop where she offers necklaces, earrings, rings, bracelets, and personalized jewelry.  Thank you Monica for sharing this with us!

15 comments:

Amy Nicole said...

gorgeous pendant! I love it..

Margosoriginals said...

Love it!!!

Connie said...

That's one of my fav pieces of Monica's!

Adventures in Art said...

Beautiful pendant! This is so interesting! Thanks for sharing.

TheJoyofColor said...

So nice to see how things are done. Beautiful pendant Monica, thankd for sharing

Lucie Tales said...

Thanks for sharing! I like your work very much!

StudioZen said...

Fascinating! I love this blog series; it's so interesting to see other artists' talent and process. Thanks Monica and Paula for sharing!

steinschmuckdesign said...

WOW Monica,
I am really impressed!!!!
I wish I could come and learn everything of you :D
Thanks so much for sharing!

wrenwillow said...

i have absolutely no knowledge of jewelry or metalworking - and this was amazing! you rock Monica!

Alison Kelley said...

I love your steps to such a beautiful piece Monica! Great design, love it!

Mollie Ann said...

I love Monica's jewelry and her shop! Thanks so much for this peek behind the scenes -- very enjoyable!
:) Mollie

Kanokwalee said...

This is awesome!

IsabelAmyo said...

Fantastic , you are you are very talented in your art ! :-) . I love to see the manufacturing process...

Waterrose said...

Thanks for sharing...since I don't make jewelry it fascinates me to see how it's done.

Leaf a Day said...

This is really neat, Monica. I love your jewelry! Thanks Paula for doing this feature.